Warning: long rant ahead.
A little background: Tommy, my oldest son, wanted “Beats HD” headphones for his Birthday back in October. We being the nice parents decided to get them. My first mistake was getting them at WalMart instead of my usual B&M choice of BestBuy for that type of thing. I would have ordered them online, but I put it off too long.
The “Beats HD”s are the over-the-ear type, and one step down from the most expensive models at only $200. I purchased the extended service plan for $9 since they were certainly going to see some abuse.
After about 5 weeks, one of the drivers went out. We took them back to Walmart, and read the return terms posted on the wall behind the customer service counter and found that we could just exchange them since it was within the specified time frame (60 or 90 days, can’t remember). He decided that he wanted to go with the in-ear model instead, and got the “iBeats”, which were half the price ($100) – fine, whatever.
Shortly into owning the “iBeats”, the newest model came out – the “urbeats”. Not sure what the difference is aside from the fact that they are no longer made by Monster apparently. Back we go with receipts in hand and are able to do another exchange, along with a service plan. This time we were told by the customer service person at the big W, that since we’d already done one exchange, and had the exchange receipt with us, not the original, we’d need to find the original if we needed to exchange them again. This didn’t worry me since I’d purchased the 2 year service plans from the start.
A few weeks into owning the “urbeats”, the wire going from the mic/volume pod to the right headphone popped out. Back we go. This time, the big yellow smiley face wasn’t smiling upon us. The customer service person explained to use that there was only a 15-day exchange period (while standing in front of the giant sign that contradicted what she was saying). I also explained that I had the service plan, to which she replied that that doesn’t start until the manufacturer’s warranty stops, which made no sense whatsoever. The little folder you get with the service plan boldly and brightly says “Coverage from Day 1″.
From the website:
I registered the latest ear buds and will have to file a claim of some sort, we’ll see how that works out. I’m sure that will be the subject for a future post.
The seller apparently picked up 6 from the University of Dayton, and it’s in really nice shape.
Everything seems to be functioning fine, could probably use some contact cleaner, and I might look into having it calibrated, but for my needs, it’s more than enough.
Over Christmas vacation, I cobbled together a PCB drill press using my Dremel, some aluminum channel, and other assorted bits and pieces.
I was inspired by this Hack A Day post and took some pictures during the build for a future post.
This weekend, I’m going to drill my first board with it, an Electro-Harmonix Pulsar clone from Tonepad.com.
I transferred the resist using glossy magazine paper printed on a Brother laser printer, then ran it through the laminator about 10-12 times. The magazine paper method seems to be the only one that works with my printer (go figure), something to do with Brother’s toner.
I’ve tried Press’N'Peel, photo paper, and even parchment paper, all to no avail. They either wouldn’t transfer to the copper, or, with the parchment paper, the toner wouldn’t even stick.
Time to etch and drill!
Update 1: Etched, tinned, and drilled.
Thanks to the extra-long weekend, I was able to get several projects completed, and/or started.
Here’s a few pics of my “new” lab bench power supply:
Next on the list: taking my old home-brew 0-18v variable supply and putting it a new case, roughly the same size as the new one, and adding a digital voltage display.
I’m thankful that my hardest decision today will be choosing between a Padron 1964 Anniversary and a Fuente Añejo.
Oh and also for
“…peace, love, and good happiness stuff.”
Steve Vai, “Blue Powder”