Archive for the ‘ geekery ’ Category

Cool Instructables find

Saw TheKingOfRandom’s video on making an emergency generator on instructables.com. Neat stuff! I’ll be adding his YouTube channel to my links.

Happy weekend!

pete

Advertisements

…was blind, but now can see…

Electrons!

20130112-142445.jpg
Tek 2201 dual channel DSO, original manual, 2 Tek 10x probes – EBay, $149 + shipping 🙂

The seller apparently picked up 6 from the University of Dayton, and it’s in really nice shape.

Everything seems to be functioning fine, could probably use some contact cleaner, and I might look into having it calibrated, but for my needs, it’s more than enough.

Now if my Buspirate from Adafruit would just show up today…

Happy hacking!
Pete

Latest projects

Over Christmas vacation, I cobbled together a PCB drill press using my Dremel, some aluminum channel, and other assorted bits and pieces.

20130106-122055.jpg
I was inspired by this Hack A Day post and took some pictures during the build for a future post.

This weekend, I’m going to drill my first board with it, an Electro-Harmonix Pulsar clone from Tonepad.com.

I transferred the resist using glossy magazine paper printed on a Brother laser printer, then ran it through the laminator about 10-12 times. The magazine paper method seems to be the only one that works with my printer (go figure), something to do with Brother’s toner.
I’ve tried Press’N’Peel, photo paper, and even parchment paper, all to no avail. They either wouldn’t transfer to the copper, or, with the parchment paper, the toner wouldn’t even stick.

Here’s the result after trimming the board down and cleaning up some traces:

20130106-124300.jpg

Time to etch and drill!

Update 1: Etched, tinned, and drilled.

20130108-193656.jpg

20130108-193712.jpg

20130108-193721.jpg

Pete

Weekend projects

Thanks to the extra-long weekend, I was able to get several projects completed, and/or started.

  • Replaced a toilet flush valve
  • Cleaned off my “workbench”
  • Repaired a guitar amp for a neighbor (bad solder joint on the treble pot)
  • Converted an unused PC power supply to a bench supply with +/-12 and +5 volt (pics below)
  • Made a really good pot of turkey and sausage white chili 🙂

Here’s a few pics of my “new” lab bench power supply:

20121126-074308.jpg

That blue LED (from the same PC as the PSU) is really bright, might need to put a bigger resistor on it
20121126-074322.jpg

The blue LED indicates AC/mains status, and the red one indicates front panel voltage power, controlled by the small toggle switch
20121126-074330.jpg

Nice wiring job (by my standards anyway)
20121126-074338.jpg

Main power switch
20121126-075307.jpg

Here’s some references I used to do the conversion:
JumperOne’s tutorial (excellent video as well)
More technical description from Murray State

Next on the list: taking my old home-brew 0-18v variable supply and putting it a new case, roughly the same size as the new one, and adding a digital voltage display.
20121126-080436.jpg
Happy geeking!

Pete